[texhax] Using XeTeX to select fonts

Clint Olsen clint.olsen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 23:21:57 CET 2013

Hi:

I apologize if this isn't the correct forum. I'm interested in
experimenting with TeX and selecting fonts from my Mac. My
understanding is that if you don't want the LaTeX macro support, you
are supposed to use XeTeX. I found the fontspec article that explains
how you do this. I am able to select fonts easily using something of
the form:

\font\hoefler="Hoefler Text"
\hoefler

\nopagenumbers

What I would like to know is whether it's possible to select a family
of fonts so that when I select markup like { \sl  <text> } or { \bf
<text } it will select the desired font variant. I'm noticing that it
reverts to the usual Latin Modern fonts for the variants.

Thanks,

-Clint