[texhax] Fractional super/subscripts in pdf bookmarks

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Dec 20 18:02:08 CET 2013

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 09:30:33AM -0500, Victor Ivrii wrote:
> When section (etc) title contains mathematical expressions the
> corresponding bookmark (outline) in pdf file more often than not requires
> usage of \texorpdfstring{}{} provided by hyperref. Unfortunately not only
> hyperref does not cover everything available in utf8 but utf8 itself does
> not contain everything which is needed. F.e. ^{\frac{4}{3}} does not seem
> to be here; even ^{/} or ^{:}.
>
> So, what do you think is the best way to display fractional
> sub/superscripts in the bookmarks? Thanks.

Since bookmarks are only plain text (no formatting etc) and Unicode does
not encode any superscripts (the Unicode "superscripts" are linguistic
symbols, not a way to format superscripts in plain text), I think the
only "clean" solution is to rewrite the expression in a way the does not
require superscripts at all (at least for the bookmarks part). I
personally would just avoid math formulas in section titles altogether.

Regards,
Khaled