[texhax] Archiving Documents

Neal H. Walfield neal at walfield.org
Fri Apr 26 13:46:20 CEST 2013

Hi,

At some point (soon), I'm going to be done with my thesis.  I'd like
to archive the document along with all its TeX dependencies (that is,
everything except for latex itself).  My motivation is that I want to
be able to rebuild my thesis in a few years.  My caution is based on
my experiences working with various LaTeX packages.  When I started, I
was using Debian Squeeze.  After upgrading to Wheezy, I learned that
the new version of siunitx provides a new, incompatible API.  I needed
to do \usepackage[version-1-compatibility]{siunitx} to get my document
to compile.  Sure, it's easy, but I had figure that out.  Who knows
what will happen in 10 years...

What I imagine is some program that looks at my TeX log files and
copies all of the system-wide files into a local texmf tree.  Does
something like this already exist?

Thanks,

Neal