[texhax] Logging on pdftex (silence, TeX Live)

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Sun Sep 16 09:00:49 CEST 2012

Am Sonntag, den 02.09.2012, 20:21 +0200 schrieb Uwe Ziegenhagen:

> 2012/9/2 Michael Barr <barr at math.mcgill.ca>
>         When you run tex with a dvi output, the report you get ends
>         with things like missing references, citations and
>         \endgroups.  When you run it with pdf output, it ends with a
>         boring list of fonts and you have to scroll back to get the
>         stuff that's interesting.  Now I don't mind this stuff going
>         into the real log file, but it is certainly of no interest in
>         the onscreen report.  Is there any way to suppress this list
>         of fonts?
>
> The silence package might be helpful:
>
> http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/mirrors/CTAN/macros/latex/contrib/silence/silence-doc.pdf

I guess that not, silence seems to modify LaTeX's warnings and error
messages, i.e., it works on the macro level. The font messages appear
*after* the TeX run. Perhaps hours of studiying the TeX Live
documentation reveal a way to switching that logging off. Unable to
spend them, I actually run dvilatex to see the relevant messages.
When they are ok, I run pdflatex. As to hours: I also wonder that
today the \tracingstats message doesn't appear anymore.

Cheers,

    Uwe.