[texhax] Using LuLu

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Fri Mar 16 12:48:17 CET 2012

On Mar 15, 2012, at 12:59 PM, Alister Mitchell wrote:

> Can anyone give me some practical advice on using LuLu (etc.) to print PDFs produced by LaTeX and friends?

Lots of discussion on this previously.

> I use the Memoir class and have lots of floating and fixed diagrams, tables and pictures, all of which come out in the PDF nicely.  The LuLu site appears to indicate that with the right setup, it can cope, but the nature of these tweaks/options is unclear.  I dared to ask a simple question about it on the LuLu bulletin board and received a most unhelpful reply from someone who didn't even understand "stock size" or "type block" and accused me of being 20 years out of date!  I was not happy.

That person is an excellent example of why I despise vanity presses and the sort of person they attract.

Read _Foucault's Pendulum_ by Umberto Eco for an amusing take on how to handle that sort of person.

> So, If anyone has used LuLu to print their typeset PDFs, please let me know how you did it.

Use OpenType fonts, embed completely if possible or use pdflatex and the package to make the files PDF/A compliant.

Mostly it just works, but since Lulu sends stuff out to sub-contractors, glitches may arise w/ a specific sub, then vanish when another is used.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer