[texhax] Index of Notations

William F Hammond whammon3 at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jun 2 21:25:32 CEST 2012

wenhuo hu <huwenhuo at gmail.com> writes:

>  On Jun 2, 2012 11:40 AM, "Fernando Gouvea" <fqgouvea at colby.edu> wrote:
>
>> I'm writing a mathematics book and have been asked to provide an index of
>> notations.
> . . .
> Not sure which function you are looking for. Just a remind
> latex itself has function to make index if that is what
> you need.

See for example Robin Hartshorne's standard text "Algebraic
Geometry" (Springer).  The "Glossary of Notations" is a two
column left-aligned tabular-type thing.  In the left column
is a symbol -- the notation -- typeset as math.  In the
right column there is a short phrase description that
may or may not contain mathematical notation followed by a
comma, a long space, and a page number (first appearance).
The order of the rows in Hartshorne appears to be based on
the page number cited, but in other works there might be an
ordering of rows based on a somewhat ad hoc effort to
"alphabetize" the notations.

While such a glossary is back matter, it is not a standard

                                    -- Bill