[texhax] December 2012 TUG news: conference, tugboat, ctan, interview, history

TeX Users Group tug-news at tug.org
Mon Dec 24 01:49:38 CET 2012

Dear TeX users,

Well, the world didn't end as predicted, so I suppose I need to
write yet another newsletter to round out the year.

2012 was a good year for TeX and TUG, with progress being made
on several fronts. Of course, more participation is always
welcome. If you wish to run for a position as a TUG officer,
now's your chance: 2013 is an election year. See all the details
at http://tug.org/election.

And don't forget that TUG 2013 will be in Tokyo.  Deadline for
presentation proposals and more is July 15.  More details as they become
available will be on the TUG website (http://tug.org/tug2013).

More news:
- TUGboat 33:3, the last issue of 2012, is now online and in the
   mail (if it hasn't reached you. Mine got here last week, and I'm
   usually among the last to get my issue). And consider writing something
   for the next issue. Articles on any aspect of TeX and friends are
   always welcomed. Deadline for the next issue is March 1.
   http://tug.org/TUGboat/

- The Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (aka CTAN) now features an
   all-new, enhanced website. Point your browsers at
   http://www.ctan.org

- The Interview Corner has a new interview, with Mari Voipio.
   http://www.tug.org/interviews/

- Donald E. Knuth, creator of TeX, is apparently the 8th most influential
   scientist alive today. See the complete list (and a picture of Knuth
   featuring an inside joke) at
   http://www.superscholar.org/features/20-most-influential-scientists-alive-today/

- The Hamilton Wood Type & Printing Museum is being forced to move,
   possibly as early as February. They are seeking support from the
   community to relocate:
   http://woodtype.org/support

- The Computer Society History Committee has been working on a timeline
   that includes TeX, posted at:
    http://www.computer.org/cms/Computer.org/Publications/timeline.pdf

As always, happy TeXing,

Steve Peter (President) on behalf of the TUG Board
http://www.tug.org/