[texhax] TeX Collection won't install on Mac OS 10.7.4

Schneider, Thomas (NIH/NCI) [E] schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Fri Aug 24 21:42:23 CEST 2012

Tex Haxers:

I installed the TeX Collection 2012 from the DVD on my Mac OS X 10.6.8
at home without any problem and it runs fine.

Now I'd like to install it on my new Mac OS 10.7.4 at work.

Here's what happens:

I put the DVD in the drive and close the door with the key.  The drive
appears on the desk top.  I double click on it.  It opens to show 16
files and directories.  I double click on the mactex directory.  It
opens and shows 9 objects.  I double click on MacTeX-2012-DVD.pkg and
a window pops up "Install MacTeX-2012-DVD".

Immediately a notification with a yellow triangle and a '!' slides
down from the top of the window.  The message is:

   Install DVD Missing

   The TUG TeX Collection DVD must be mounted to
   install TeX

   Close

On clicking on Close (the only option) the Install window closes and
I'm unable to install.

I've taken the DVD out and repeated this process (in case the DVD was
set into the drive wrong somehow).  It always gives the above message.

The package is at:

/Volumes/TEXCOL2012/mactex/MacTeX-2012-DVD.pkg

To see if my drive is ok, I tried last year's TeX Collection 2012 DVD.
It stepped through the process just fine but I stopped just before
installing since I already have it installed.

Maybe the DVD itself is bad?
/Volumes/TEXCOL2012/Readme.txt
/Volumes/TEXCOL2012/index.de.html
/Volumes/TEXCOL2012/index.en.html
all open just fine.

Obviously I could install from the internet, but first maybe someone
knows what's happening?

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Frederick National Laboratory for Cancer Research
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  http://alum.mit.edu/www/toms