[texhax] Hyperref and subfig

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 02:37:59 CEST 2012

Hello,

please, keep ML in To or Cc!

** Christopher Skeels [2012-08-05 14:42:10 +0000]:

> On 5/08/12 11:54 PM, "Vladimir Lomov" <lomov.vl at gmail.com> wrote:

>>This isn't direct answer to your question, but I recommend to read the
>>following thread on texlive ML:
>>http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2012-August/032046.html

>>May be it help you find another workaround.

> Thanks Vladimir.  That thread answered my question perfectly.  The
> solution in this case was to wait for an update to hyperref to reach the
> CTAN repository that I use.  It wasn't there yesterday but it is now.
> Thanks also to Heiko for his terrific support for hyperref.

> Cheers, Chris.

No, I meant the transition to other package.

** Herbert Schulz [2012-08-05 09:20:43 -0500]:

> On Aug 5, 2012, at 8:54 AM, Vladimir Lomov wrote:

>> Hello,

>> ** Christopher Skeels [2012-08-05 10:27:41 +0000]:

>>> Dear All,

>>> I have updated the hyperref bundle so that I now have hyper ref
>>> v6.82v, an update from v6.82q.  The update is dated 2012/07/29.  Part
>>> of this update has seen nameref.sty updated.  In particular, the
>>> function \strip at period from nameref.sty has been (slightly) redefined
>>> and and, importantly, renamed \NR at strip@period.  So now the hyperref
>>> specific code in subfig.sty no longer works, as \strip at period is now
>>> undefined.  Specifically, I now get the following error message when
>>> compiling a file that has not had this problem before:

[...]

>> This isn't direct answer to your question, but I recommend to read the
>> following thread on texlive ML:
>> http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2012-August/032046.html

>> May be it help you find another workaround.

> Howdy,

> The hyperref and nameref packages in the TeX Live repositories should
> be at versions v6.82y and 2.42 respectively as of 2012/08/04.

> Good Luck,

The actual problem is that 1) `subfig' package is now not actively
maintained but there is a recommend replacement and 2) the use of
`internal' macro, there is no guarantee that some `internal' macro will
stay "forever", except LaTeX2e ones.

So again, if package doesn't actively maintained and there is
alternative I would suggest to switch to new package; esp. if that
package uses `internal' macro of other, actively maintained package.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
You dialed 5483.