[texhax] LaTeX

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Mon Apr 9 19:38:47 CEST 2012

On 04/09/2012 07:27 AM, William Adams wrote:
> On Apr 9, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>
>> Grab the GIMP. Works just fine.
> For what?
>
> It's the ``GNU Image Manipulation Program'' (where ``Image'' means pixel map).
>
> A .eps can have text and vector elements in it, neither of which GIMP handles elegantly, nor can it put them into a .eps in a resolution-independent fashion.

These observations are very important.  I still deal with printers who
cannot really be trusted with anything but TIFF, and TIFF output is
better from GIMP than (if it is even possible) from Illustrator.  But
you have to beware of the resolution trap.  When you import Illustrator
EPS into GIMP, you have to specify what resolution you want in the basic
Gimp working copy.  It will default to 72 DPI, and from then on, no
image scaling will help you.  Depending on the predominant character of
the image, you really need to decide on something like 300 DPI for
something that will look all right as a half tone, and 600 or, ideally,
1200 DPI for something that is going to resemble line art in the final
inking.  The results eat up the megabytes, but they look pretty good on
paper.

Pierre MacKay