[texhax] \let\clearpage\relax depth

lina lina.lastname at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 18:36:50 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Heiko Oberdiek
<heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 05:03:55PM +0800, lina wrote:
>
>> On my appendix, I wish to combine the chapter and following Table
>> together, don't wish the small table to be in a new page.
>>
>> googled for a while, \let\clearpage\relax
>>
>> mainly bring my reference part up, not that table.
>

>> \chapter*{Appendix}
>>
>> \let\clearpage\relax
>
> In general not a good idea.
>
>> \begin{table}{  \qquad \qquad \qquad \qquad \qquad \qquad }
>
> What's the purpose of the "\qquad"s?

You may notice the table is very slim. use those \qquad to move it
into the quasi-middle of the page.

Might be clumsy, I did this table one year ago and can't remember why
came so many spaces to move it into middle.

>>     \begin{tabular}{ c| c  }
>>      \hline
>>  Res &   values  \\ \hline
>>  NT & 2.4    \\
>>  u-3 & 4.2    \\
>>  g-5 & 12.2   \\
>>  s-6 & 6.0    \\
>>  p-7 & 4.2    \\
>>  \hline
>>     \end{tabular}
>>      \caption{value for.}
>> \end{table}
>
> What happens, if you put a \clearpage after the table?
Still the same after put \clearpage after the table.

the big "Appendience" took up one whole page before the table.

> Perhaps the real table is too large for the page?

I don't think so. since I tested it with "aaa", those three one char
also show in new page. with table on the following page.

> If there isn't text in the appendix, just the table, you could
> also use a non-floating table, e.g.:
>
> \usepackage{capt-of} % in the preamble
>
> \chapter*{Appendix}
> \begin{tabular}...\end{tabular}
> \captionof{figure}{value for.}
>

> Or
>
> \usepackage{float} % in the preamble
>
> \chapter*{Appendix}
> \begin{table}{H}
>  \begin{tabular}...\end{tabular}
>  \caption{value for.}
> \end{table}
>
> If the table is too long for a page, then consider packages
> longtable or supertabular.

Thanks for your suggestions. I must take care the extra packages going
to use. It's dissertation, involves so many things, a bit worry an
introduction of a new package going to affect other part. so I tried
to keep it as simple as possible.

Best regards,