[texhax] \let\clearpage\relax depth

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 4 20:59:59 CEST 2012

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 05:03:55PM +0800, lina wrote:

> On my appendix, I wish to combine the chapter and following Table
> together, don't wish the small table to be in a new page.
>
> googled for a while, \let\clearpage\relax
>
> mainly bring my reference part up, not that table.

> \chapter*{Appendix}
>
> \let\clearpage\relax

In general not a good idea.

> \begin{table}{  \qquad \qquad \qquad \qquad \qquad \qquad }

What's the purpose of the "\qquad"s?

>     \begin{tabular}{ c| c  }
>      \hline
>  Res &   values  \\ \hline
>  NT & 2.4    \\
>  u-3 & 4.2    \\
>  g-5 & 12.2   \\
>  s-6 & 6.0    \\
>  p-7 & 4.2    \\
>  \hline
>     \end{tabular}
>      \caption{value for.}
> \end{table}

What happens, if you put a \clearpage after the table?
Perhaps the real table is too large for the page?

If there isn't text in the appendix, just the table, you could
also use a non-floating table, e.g.:

\usepackage{capt-of} % in the preamble

\chapter*{Appendix}
\begin{tabular}...\end{tabular}
\captionof{figure}{value for.}

Or

\usepackage{float} % in the preamble

\chapter*{Appendix}
\begin{table}{H}
  \begin{tabular}...\end{tabular}
  \caption{value for.}
\end{table}

If the table is too long for a page, then consider packages
longtable or supertabular.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek