[texhax] [pdftex] Change font names in PDF

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri May 20 22:23:25 CEST 2011

On 2011-05-20 at 22:54:53 +0800, narke wrote:

 > On 20 May 2011 22:42, William Adams <will.adams at frycomm.com> wrote:
 > > On May 20, 2011, at 9:04 AM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
 > >
 > >>  However, as the fonts are embedded in the PDF file, it should
 > >> really be readable by most PDF readers (why exactly do you
 > >> insist on having "standard names" -- whatever that means?)
 > >
 > > The OP mentioned re-working the files using inkscape and
 > > pdfconverter --- as has been noted previously, using mathptmx
 > > gets one the Nimbus clones of Times and one can re-map the fonts
 > > when opening the files, or one can install the Nimbus Type 1
 > > fonts into Windows.
 >
 > Yes, this is exact the reason why I want to get standard font names
 > that available on Windows.  Inkscape try to guess the windows fonts
 > name for the fonts found in my PDF. So, if my fonts is "TimesRoman",
 > inkscape can use "Times Roman" in Windows.  But if my fonts are
 > "CMR***" or Nimbus***, Inkscape will have no idea about it.

Did you try to use Latin Modern and install the LM OpenType Fonts as
system fonts (i.e. copy the texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/*.otf
files to c:\windows\fonts)?  Won't Inkscape find them there?

 > One thing is interesting, I happened to use 'dot' one time to
 > generate some graph in ps and then dvips to convert it to pdf, for
 > those PDFs I got, the fonts reported are "TimesRoman"!  I don't
 > know how 'dot' archived that.  (dot is a tool of graphviz).

I assume that the conversion ps->pdf was done by ghostscript, not dvips.
Most likely, graphviz is using Times, not Nimbus.  Most such programs
do not embed the fonts.  They expect that you have a PostScript
printer with Times-Roman built-in, otherwise you need ghostscript
anyway, which cares about proper font embedding.

Ghostscript's Fontmap has an alias table which maps Times-Roman to
NimbusRomNo9L-Regu, but recent versions of gs are linked against the
fontconfig library.  Hence, I suppose that it looks for Times-Roman on
the system first, and, if there is no such font on your system, it
looks into the alias table and uses NimbusRomNo9L-Regu.

If you are interested, look into the .ps file created by dot.  Or send
it to me, if you find it too messy.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25