[texhax] Redefining default font sizes

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Mar 28 14:54:20 CEST 2011

On 2011-03-28 at 00:54:57 -0700, Mike B. wrote:

 > Hi All,
 >
 > I'm using a non-standard class file which defines the font to be
 > too small IMO. So I would like to temporarily redefine the default
 > font sizes to something larger to make it easier to proof-read.
 >
 > Can someone please advice how to do this? I know it's possible to
 > redefine the \defaultfamily command but what about the default font
 > sizes?.

What is the size of your document?  If it's smaller than A4 or letter,
it makes sense to scale the whole document.  The advantage is that the
layout is retained.

I once had to scale an A5 document to A4 for proof-reading.  So I
prepared an additional LaTeX file:

______ proof.tex __________________________
\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{pdfpages}
\begin{document}
\includepdf[pages=-]{myfile.pdf}
\end{document}

This file, when compiled with pdflatex, creates an A4 version
"proof.pdf" of the A5 document "myfile.pdf".  Please note that nothing
had to be changed in the original document.  proof.pdf doesn't contain
bookmarks and hyperlinks anymore, but this should be acceptable for a
printed copy.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25