[texhax] smith chart?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 23:37:01 CET 2011

Arno Trautmann said the following at 03/05/2011 02:28 PM :
> Hi all,
>
> I am searching for a way to draw a nice Smith chart in my document. Searching the net gave me this nice document:
>
> http://www.siart.de/lehre/smithdgr.pdf
>
> That is much too complicated and I would already be happy with a much simplier graph, but it seems to be hand-made. So: Is there any package that provides something to draw a Smith chart and additionally insert specific lines for capacitance, inductance or resistance for given radii and center points?
> If there is none, does anyone have suggestions how this could be easily produced? I am thankfull for any comments!

Googling suggests that this may be helpful:
  http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/1923

Since that's MATLAB code, it's likely to work in Octave (the free Matlab
quasi-clone). I haven't tried it, but it's the first thing I would try if I
needed to create a Smith chart.

Other fairly obvious possibilities would be Gnuplot or MetaPost. And if I
was really desperate, raw MetaFont or PostScript.

It's even possible that plotting options in something like
OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice could do the job, but that's just a wild guess.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR