[texhax] Call for help: Translating the TeXworks user interface

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 10:01:44 CET 2011

Hi list,

Karl Berry suggested to write to you regarding this issue as there are
many proficient translators here. For those of you who don't know,
TeXworks [1] is an open-source, cross-platform TeX editor modeled after
the Mac OS app TeXShop. A binary package for Windows is also shipped
with TeXLive and MiKTeX.

Right now, we are working towards our second stable release, which
should hopefully be finished in time for TeXLive 2011. To that end, we
need to update the translations of the user interface. Most previous
contributors have agreed to help again, but some had to decline for
various reasons or have not responded at all. Maybe someone on this list
can help update (some of) the remaining, currently unmaintained
translations?

The languages that need some work are: Dutch, Italian, Japanese,
Portuguese (Brazil)
For all of these, translation files of the previous release exist, but
there are generally between 50 and 100 new or modified strings that need
some attention. It would really be a pity if we couldn't continue to
support those languages.

If you are interested to help, there is a guide to translating at
http://code.google.com/p/texworks/wiki/Translating
In addition, you can also email me directly and we can certainly work
something out.

Thanks in advance,
Stefan Löffler

PS: Of course, if you are interested in translating the user interface
to another language, this is also very welcome. For reference, the
following translations already exist and are up to date (or currently
worked on):
Afrikaans, Arabic, Catalan, Czech, French, German, Korean, Persian,
Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovene, Spanish, Turkish

[1] http://www.tug.org/texworks/