[texhax] Questions about page layout and dimension

Yue Wu vanopen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 01:34:30 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 11:10:16AM -0400, Jim Diamond wrote:
> On Tue, Mar  1, 2011 at 10:30 (+0800), Yue Wu wrote:
>
> > Hi, list,
>
> > I'm learning plain TeX, a few questions I meet is:
>
> > 1.
> > I find that \special{landscape} can produce .pdf in landscape page
> > layout after going the routine TeX -> dvips -> ps2pdf, it's fine enough
> > although the .dvi still isn't in landscape, any simple way, in plain
> > TeX's way?
>
> Assuming you are using 8.5 x 11 paper (A4 paper or other sizes are
> left as an exercise to the diligent student :-):
>
> \special{papersize=11in,8.5in}%
> \special{! /landplus90 true store}% Avoid seascape !  (PS only?)
>
> I expect someone else will tell you that .dvi files don't really know
> anything about page sizes.

Thanks, it work, but I find the following pages will become landscape
too, how to let it work for just current page?

> > 2.
> > After defining the page dimention with '\hsize=30cm \vsize=27cm', the
> > produced .pdf is too large to fit for pdf reading, I can see only part
> > of the document, why and how to solve it?
> How are you looking at it?  The PDF readers I use all allow you to
> scale the page to the size of the window on your screen.

I finially realize that I'm confused with the meaning of hsize, I
considered it's horizotal papersize, so the edge of the text area goes
beyond the page edge... Now I'm clear, thank you!

--
Regards,
Yue Wu

Key Laboratory of Modern Chinese Medicines
Department of Traditional Chinese Medicine
China Pharmaceutical University
No.24, Tongjia Xiang Street, Nanjing 210009, China