[texhax] FW: Re: Bibliography question

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Tue Mar 1 10:57:39 CET 2011

Dear Jay,

"Jay H Beder" <beder at uwm.edu> wrote 28.02.2011 21:12:34:
> According to
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/citeref.html,
> this package is already included in miktex,

I cannot see any information like this (about MiKTeX)
in that Catalogue entry.

Moreover, "included in MiKTeX" is ambiguous.
Even if citeref is part of MiKTeX's package management,
this does not tell anything about whether the package
is actually installed on your machine. In order to find
out more, use that MiKTeX package manager
(I have forgotten how it's called etc.)

But indeed, what you are writing now lets me wonder
whether your problem is related to citeref.
It looks like a general problem with your TeX and
MiKTeX installation.

> which I am running.  I added \usepackage{citeref}
> to my main file, but when I ran LaTeX I got this error:
>
>   latex.exe:  GUI framework cannot be initialized.
>
>   LaTex failed to create a dvi file.
>   For possible explanations start the command from the command prompt.
>
> I tried running latex on the file from the command prompt,
> but it didn't give me any useful information.

Typically, users asking for help cannot conclude anything
from the program's debugging informations, while helpers
cannot help you unless you provide these informations.

If this happens with citeref only and not when you use
your TeX installation for other projects, my idea from
my last experiences is: MiKTeX for a while supported
installation "on the fly" of missing packages, and I
was happy with this. Months or years later, when I tried
this "on the fly" installation, the run just crashed.
But on the next run, the missing package was installed
and worked. There weren't any debugging informations
from the crash, I just had no idea what was going on,
just tried another time. -- Well ...

> Can you help?

No, the fact that I found citeref by googling for "backref"
does not imply that I knew anything about what is going on
there on your machine, neither that I knew anything about
TeX, Windows, Computers etc.

I guess most convincedly that this is a MiKTeX-related
problem, so the lady who answers all the questions on
the MiKTeX mailing list may help:

    http://www.miktex.org/support

Cheers,

    Uwe.