[texhax] using glossaries...

Uwe Ziegenhagen ziegenhagen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 22:41:29 CEST 2011

2011/6/23 George Georgalis <george at galis.org>

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> wrote:
> > Well you didn't sent a complete example, but your snippet is missing
> > commands which actually use the entry. \newglossaryentry only
> > declare candidates. You need a \gls-command.
> >
> > Also you are not mentioning if you executed the makeglossaries
> > script.
>
> Thank you Ulrike.
>
> I was under the impression glossaries where simpler to implement, more
> like figures and automatic output of \tableoffigures
>
> Regards,
> George

If you need a simple example, you can use the following from
http://www.digipedia.pl/usenet/thread/1902/4118/

1) Save the following as gloss.tex
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[plainpages=false,colorlinks]{hyperref}
\usepackage[]{glossaries}
\makeglossaries
\newglossaryentry{dog}{name=dog,
description={An animal, usually cute},
plural={dogs}}
\begin{document}
\printglossaries
\Gls{dog}
\GLS{dog}
\glspl{dog}
\Glspl{dog}
\GLSpl{dog}
\glslink{dog}{some text}
\end{document}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
2) save the following as runmkindex.bat (I guess you use Windows,
otherwise as .sh or whatever your OS needs)
makeindex -s gloss.ist -t gloss.glg -o gloss.gls gloss.glo
3) run LaTeX on the file, maybe twice
4) call the runmkindex.bat, check the output
5) re-run LaTeX (resp. pdflatex) on the TeX file again.
6) Done.

Uwe

--
Uwe Ziegenhagen