[texhax] Blank first page problem (how to remove?)

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Sun Jun 5 22:52:44 CEST 2011

Am 05.06.2011 um 22:27 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:

> On 2011-06-05 at 19:53:52 +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:
>
>> 2011/6/5 Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
>>> There are three bogus bytes at the very beginning of the file:
>>
>> That's a BOM
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte-order_mark
>
> Yes.  It was my first thought too, but I didn't expect UTF-8 here.
> What is the default character encoding for saving files on Windows?

That depends on the application. Microsoft recommends [1] using UTF-8 or UTF-16. On the contrary, Notepad still defaults to the current legacy encoding (e.g. Windows-1252), but can read and write UTF-8 and UTF-16 as well. The functions in the .NET Framework all default to UTF-8; so do newer versions of Visual Studio.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd319072
“For the most consistent results, applications should use Unicode, such as UTF-8 or UTF-16, instead of a specific code page, unless legacy standards or data formats prevent the use of Unicode.”