[texhax] Jan 2011 TUG news: TUGboat, election, conferences, TAOCP, Boris Veytsman, Manning Pub

TeX Users Group tug-news at tug.org
Sun Jan 23 23:26:36 CET 2011

Dear TeX users,

- TUGboat: The first issue for 2011 will be TUGboat's 100th issue.
  Even though it is only a decimal anniversary :), we would
  like to solicit special contributions for the occasion --
  articles about the history and evolution of TeX and the
  TeX community would be especially welcome.  Of course, all
  the usual topics are welcome too.  Deadline is March 31.
    http://tug.org/TUGboat/

- 2011 election: the deadline to receive nominations is
  May 1, 2011.  For nomination forms and full info, see:
    http://tug.org/election/

- Conferences:
  TUG 2011 will be held in Cairo, Egypt, most probably from
  November 14-17, and will include a planned excursion.
  Hossam Fahmy of Cairo University is the chief organizer.
  The web site will be updated when arrangements are finalized.
    http://tug.org/tug2011/

  Other upcoming conferences:
  EuroBachoTeX from April 29-May 3, 2011, in Bachotek, Poland;
  fifth ConTeXt user meeting Sept 19-24, 2011, in Porquerolles, France.
    http://tug.org/meetings.html

- The Art of Computer Programming, volume 4A, has been published.
  Congratulations to our Grand Wizard!  You can order it through the TUG
  bookstore, among numerous other places.
    http://tug.org/books/index.html#taocpv4a

- We are very pleased to welcome Boris Veytsman, long-time TeX stalwart,
  as the newest member of the TUG board.  He is also the latest subject
  in the Interview Corner.
    http://tug.org/interviews/

- Thanks to efforts by Boris, a new discount is available to TUG
  members: discounts on books from Manning Publications.  The discount
  code is given in the TUG members area, https://www.tug.org/members.
  Their book on Gnuplot is one of special interest for many TeX users:
    http://www.manning.com/janert/

As always, please don't hesitate to contact us with questions,
suggestions, or information.

Karl Berry (President) on behalf of the TUG Board
http://www.tug.org/