[texhax] units, chemistry and mhchem

Simmie, John john.simmie at nuigalway.ie
Thu Dec 29 12:26:05 CET 2011

Lars
No, mhchem is a good attempt but is flawed.

Chemists use a superscript bullet to denote an unpaired electron or the construct \.{C} or $\dot{C}H_3$
MHCHEM cannot do this ... the author of the package was reluctant to take my word that that is what we chemists use.

Also we use two superscript dots over the element symbol  to denote a carbene, thus \"{C}

I have chosen at random from the Royal Society of Chemistry journals a paper from a group in ETH Zurich to show what chemists use.

Hydroxyl-radical-initiated oxidation of isobutyl isopropyl ether under laboratory conditions related to the troposphere Product studies and proposed mechanism
Konrad Stemmler, Wolfgang Mengon and J. Alistair Kerr  J. Chem. Soc., Faraday Trans., 1997, 93, 2865-2875

I am sure that, if pressed, I could find examples from Danish groups too!

 Prof. John Simmie, Combustion Chemistry Centre Chairman, Irish Section of the Combustion Institute