[texhax] MS Word to Mathtype

Uwe Ziegenhagen ziegenhagen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 16:27:52 CET 2011

2011/12/15 <cornwall_5 at comcast.net>

> Dear TeX Support,
>

> Your website

> had no directly clickable email link.
>

> All the links at http://www.tug.org/interest.html for the FAQs led to
> unintelligible webpages.
>

> I do all my math documents in MS Word 2000 and Mathtype 6.0.
>
> I have used MS Word since 1990 and Mathtype by Design Science since 1997.
>

> MS Word has a feature which converts the MS Word document along with all
> the embedded Mathtype
>
> images into a TeX or LaTeX document with the click of a single button.
>

> I have no way of editing all this TeX code that is produced because I have
> no way of viewing it
>
> as a readable usable document, because TeX code is not WYSIWYG, apparently.
>
> (Yes, I can edit it in a text editor, but I have no idea what all that
> code means.)
>

> Do you have a support group for people for whom we MS Word + Mathtype
> users can upload
>
> or email our MS Word + Mathtype documents to you and you'll send them back
> to us in TeX?
>

> Thanks.

Dear Cornwall_5,

I am not aware of any free service, however I am sure there are commercial
vendors who could convert Word documents into TeX for a small fee.

However I suggest you have a closer look at TeX yourself. It is not that
difficult and you will be amazed about the results.

I have done everything with TeX for more than a decade and would never ever
use Word for any document that requires nice typesetting (unless I am
forced to)

Best regards from Cologne,

Uwe

--