[texhax] twocolumn with lineno per page centered and only once for both columns

Dieter Studer dieterstuder at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 14 14:22:07 CET 2011

Dear Donald,
I think I found the solution with the help of Uwe Lück.

My minimal example (for a dialect dictionary) runs as follows:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\documentclass[twocolumn]{memoir}
\usepackage{lipsum}
%just for blindtext
\usepackage[columnwise,switch*,modulo]{lineno}
\setlength{\columnsep}{4em}
\setlength{\linenumbersep}{15pt}
%15pt seems to be the centering value
%\let\makeLineNumberLeft\relax
%no effect
\let\makeLineNumberEven\relax
%does the job
\begin{document}
\thispagestyle{empty}
%no headers when a new letter starts
\twocolumn[\section{A}]\par
%new letter starts
\begin{linenumbers}
\lipsum\lipsum\lipsum
%creates some blindtext
\end{linenumbers}
\end{document}
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

You were already the third person that tried to help me! That's very kind and I appreciate it a lot!

Best wishes,
Dieter

Dear support, I've been searching some info for a couple of hours now, but I

haven't been able to find anything in the multicol or lineno documentation

nor on-line (except for another person asking the same question without
>> getting an answer).  I would like to use a twocolumn layout
(preferably with

multicol, but [twocolumn] would be fine, too) and I would like to number the

lines in the gap between the columns. For both the left column and the
right

column I would like to use the same line number

>What
you ask for is clearly impossible because the lines
>in
the two columns are not held in registration.  However, if
>you
only want a ruler or a column of numbers -- not *line*
>numbers
-- then that looks feasible.  I
don't know of a
>packaged
solution, but one could be concocted if it doesn't
>exist already.
>
>On
the other hand, it is probably not too difficult to modify
>lineno
to supress one set of line numbers.