[texhax] dotfill leaders on first line of paragraph only ?

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Mon Dec 5 10:42:23 CET 2011

Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> writes:

> Can anyone think of a way (within XeTeX, not LuaTeX)
> of inserting dotfill leaders on the first line of
> a paragraph only ?  The requirement is that a menu
> item (as in restaurant menu) will be dotfilled to
> its price, but the price will always be aligned
> to the first line of the paragraph (if the item
> name runs to more than one line), not to the last.
> The item names are long because they are bi-lingual.
> Pre-release version (no dotfill leaders) at :
>
> 	http://thai-an.co.uk/restaurant/menu/2012/#page=2

That example shows it is a lot simpler than you state!
The first line is a separate title, not part of the
explanatory paragraph.  Oh, I guess some of the titles
do take more than one line, just none of those on page 2.

If you can ensure that the second line is the shorter
of two (or not noticibly longer), then varwidth.sty
would solve the leaders issue.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca