[texhax] Multiline array elements

when harry met sally whenharry_metsally at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 03:40:20 CEST 2011

I have to put a large matrix in my document, and I want to split its elements over multiple lines. How do I do this? The array is only a 4X4 array, but the elements are long algebraic expressions which are not fitting onto a page even if I use tiny fontsize and landscape orientation. I have experimented with align and split and haven't had much success. I get errors like:

! Package amsmath Error: Erroneous nesting of equation structures;
(amsmath)                trying to recover with `aligned'.

Thanks,
Sally