[texhax] PDF to EMF?

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Apr 28 19:10:50 CEST 2011

Steven

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 14:58 +0100, Steven Woody wrote:
> Now, for some reason I have to use them on
> a MS word document. I tried pdf2picture, some text looks ugly, maybe a
> kind of font problem.

I think most pdf to ps (or eps) converters use ghostscript and tend to
render the fonts rather than embed them in the resulting (e)ps file. The
one exception is pstopdf  (NOT ps2pdf).

pstopdf -eps file.pdf

will give you a nice file.eps

It is generically a *nix tool (it's part of xpdf) and requires things
not particularly available on Windows. However, you can download a
version of xpdf for windows that has all the pdf tools (and amusingly
not xpdf itself because that needs a functioning x-window system) from
the main xpdf site:

http://www.foolabs.com/

This gives you only command-line tools, but in my one test on a windows
box (admittedly an XP machine) it worked and imported fine into Word. I
also believe that pdftops is contained in several tex distributions,
including MikTeX and TexLive, and that may be a better source.

HTH

Steve
Professor Steven J Schwartz        Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Head, Space & Atmospheric Physics  Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory            E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London            Office: Huxley 6M67A
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.               Web: www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs