[texhax] how to use \pagefillstretch and its relatives

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Sun Apr 17 22:49:00 CEST 2011

Stan <texforeverything at att.net> writes:

> I'm trying to set up some macros that will print a full version and an
> incomplete version of a document.  The incomplete version doesn't have all
> of the material in the full version, but it should insert the right amount
> of vertical skip so the incomplete version's stuff lines up with the
> corresponding stuff in the full version.

Why not just change color to white?  Or is this to keep people
from extracting content from an electronic copy?

> I set up the macros so the difference in \pagetotal, \pageshrink, and
> \pagestretch between each skipped block are written to a file that's
> imported into the incomplete version and used to determine how much skip  to
> insert.  I'm not getting the information from the stretches that I want  when
> there's infinite stretching in a block that should be skipped in the
> incomplete version.  (I tried including \pagefilstretch etc. separately,  but
> that didn't help.)
>
> This would work nicely if, for example, the value of \pagefillstretch were
> "1" after an occurrence of \vfill (to indicate that 1 unit of second-order
> infinite stretch has been inserted), but since they're all dimensions, I
> need a way to write the dimension they take on after the page is ready to  be
> shipped out.  Is there any way of doing that (or an easier way of  achieving
> the same goal)?

I thought this might be confusing you!  \pagefillstretch IS INDEED
"1" after an occurrence of \vfill, but it is "1pt".  All you need
to do is convert the "pt" to the corresponding filllllllevel.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca