[texhax] How to put the chapter into report title

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Wed Oct 6 01:17:20 CEST 2010

"Alan T Litchfield" <alan at alphabyte.co.nz>, 06.10.2010 00:04:37:
>On 6/10/2010, at 10:43 AM, Uwe Lueck wrote:
>> I think you should not use \maketitle for this purpose, you should
>> just use \includeonly.
>>
>> In order to get separate proof files for each chapter, you could
>> have tiny files named something like `myrepchX.tex'
>> calling a shared `myrep.tex'. The latter is a LaTeX main document
>> file with
>>
>>    \includeonly{\includechap}
>>
>> in its preamble, and the content of `myrepchX.tex' just is
>>
>>    \newcommand{\includechap}{chapX}
>>    \input{\myrep}
>>
>> `X' is meant to be a placeholder for a chapter id.
>>
>> So each "title page" is simply the starting page of a chapter
>> exactly as in the final report version.
>>
>> Maybe I missed something?
>>
>> HTH though -- Uwe.
>
> But how does that fill the content of \title{...} with what already
> exists in \chapter{...} in the inputted file?

?? I am saying that you shouldn't think of \title and \maketitle here.

> For example the header file looks like:
>
> \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{report}
>
> \author{Alan Litchfield}
> \title{}

Your report should have a title ... a single title for the whole report,
nothing to do with chapter title pages!

> \date{\today}
>
> \begin{document}
> \maketitle

I consider this wrong, better

    \include{frontmat}

and `frontmat.tex' contains \maketitle.

> \input{includes/production}

What is this good for? I expect something like \include{production}.

> \renewcommand\bibname{References}
> \bibliographystyle{apacite}
> \bibliography{SemanticsOfWork}

I think this should be in a file `backmat.tex' that you should \include(only).

> \end{document}
>
> And where production.tex looks like
>
> \chapter{Work as the means to production}
> \section{Introduction}
> \nobreak
> blahblahblah

?? -- Again I think you must use \include{production}

... Uwe.