[texhax] General Advice on Combining Documents for a Thesis

Thomas Jacobs thomasjacobs at gmail.com
Fri May 28 19:06:22 CEST 2010

I am a doctoral student in Finance where the practice is to write
three papers (not necessarily related) and combine them into a thesis.
 I have confirmed that combining them as follows is acceptable to the
grad college:

Thesis Title Page, Abstract, Table of Contents, Introduction
Paper 1 Title Page, Abstract, Body, References, Tables, Figures
Paper 2 Title Page, Abstract, Body, References, Tables, Figures
Paper 3 Title Page, Abstract, Body, References, Tables, Figures
Thesis Conclusion

I have been unable to decipher how to do this in LaTeX, particularly
as most web available code skeletons or guides assume a single set of
references, etc.

When I try to combine them in one TeX file I get errors if I have more
than one document begin and end line and am uncertain how I would code
the three distinct sets of references.

Can anyone advise if this is possible or if I need to create five
separate LaTeX projects and their resulting output .pdf files
(manually handling the page numbers and thesis table of contents) and
then use Acrobat to combine the five resulting files?  Thanks very
much.

Tom
--
Thomas Jacobs