[texhax] Distress call

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Thu May 6 02:14:28 CEST 2010

Dear Friedrich,

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 23:15 +0100, Dr. Friedrich Katscher wrote:
> Overfull \hbox <1.669pt too wide> in paragraph at lines 37--50

This is not a real problem, just LaTeX telling you that it couldn't find
a nice way within the stretchability rules/constraints it is given to
fit the line perfectly.

>  [  ][  ]\T/cmr/m/n/10  All we know about Abu Za-kariya <in other
> manuscripts Abu Bakr> Muham- [1][2][3][4][5]

You can see here that LaTeX went on and successfully typeset pages 1 -
5, so there should be 5 pages somewhere, unless the job aborted sometime
later. Since your latex configuration works for other files, this
suggests there is something peculiar about this particular source file.

I suggest you keep a copy of the full file, and then try putting your
\end{document} line partway through (e.g., after a couple of pages) and
see if that produces a dvi for you. Then experiment more until you track
down the problem.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve
Professor Steven J Schwartz        Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Head, Space & Atmospheric Physics  Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7772
The Blackett Laboratory            E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London            Office: Huxley 6M67A
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.               Web: www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs