[texhax] An Index Package Question

Fehd, Ronald J. (CDC/OSELS/NCPHI) rjf2 at CDC.GOV
Thu Mar 11 15:30:55 CET 2010

- - - original message - - -
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:58:20 -0500
From: "J. Douglas Faires" <jfaires at ysu.edu>
Subject: [texhax] An Index Package Question

I am finishing a book and like to have the bibliography indexed.

It seems that the way to go is to use the Index package to create a
separate index for the bibliography items.

I think I have followed the instructions in the documentation and the
package is loaded,
but my new index will not print, although I receive no error messages
and the original index prints without a problem.

The relevant material from my file, I think, is listed below.

Standard index items are flagged in the form

\index{Gaussian Quadrature}

and a bibliographic item such as [Ab] is flagged in the form

\index[bib]{[Ab]}

Best,
Doug Faires

You need to process your MyBook.tex
With makeindex

Here is the Windows batch file I use to do this:

- - - TeXprocThisFile.bat - - -
set filename=Fehd-chap-SetUp-Autoexec
call pdfLaTeX  %filename%
call pdfLaTeX  %filename%
call pdfLaTeX  %filename%
call   bibTeX  %filename%
call makeindex %filename%
call pdfLaTeX  %filename%
call pdfLaTeX  %filename%
call pdfLaTeX  %filename%

yeah, overkill, but the pages numbers are correct!
I am sure others will suggest texify

Be sure to check the makeindex log

Ron Fehd the {SAS} macro maven CDC Atlanta GA