[texhax] texmakerx, and mactex

Tom Backer Johnsen backer at psych.uib.no
Sun Jan 31 19:10:44 CET 2010

I am not exactly a beginner.  I have used LaTeX for years, but up to
very recently only on Windows machines, mainly using WinEdt and
TeXnicCenter.  In general have used PC's since the early 80's, way
before Windows arrived.

Even so I find it a clear advantage  to use an editor dedicated to the
generation of a pdf file from LaTeX source.  That eliminates a lot of
problems that may become a distraction from the main thing, writing a
text.  There are so many things that can go wrong with LaTeX, e.g. pairs
of brackets , options, \begin - \end pairs, spell checking, etc.  So, no
thank you, in my opinion GUI type programs have clear advantages over a
terminal window alone.  I am very grateful that some people take the
trouble to develop and maintain such programs.

Tom