[texhax] Help Regarding TeX works

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Dec 30 16:11:33 CET 2010

On 30 December 2010 Uwe Lueck wrote:

 > First, CTAN does store platform-dependent software, even for Windows.
 > Fine for those who just look for something useful and download
 > and install directly from CTAN.

See my last sentence:

 >> Anyway, I think that it's best to have Vinoth's program on CTAN
 >> though.

 > Second, TeX Live is available for Windows as well,
 >
 >     http://tug.org/texlive/
 >
 > I do know people who work with TeX Live on Windows.

TeX Live is supposed to work on all systems which are in use today.
Unfortunately, the Windows part was maintained separately in the past
and not all features were available on Windows.  In 2007/08 we worked
very hard in order to close this gap.  If you have TL 2008 or newer,
you'll hopefully don't notice many differences anymore between
different platforms.

It's not impossible to add software which works on a particular system
only.  But in order to avoid opening the gap again, platform-independent
software is preferred.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25