[texhax] LaTeX, Webpages, and PDF files

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 00:27:32 CEST 2010

Hi Tom,

It's quite possible, though there may be more modern
solutions now. I got good results using Latex2HTML
for these DSP composition tutorials

http://obiwannabe.co.uk/html/music/musictuts.html

A script employing unix 'make' and a bit of
perl or python will help you get the bevahiour you describe;
so that any update is reflected in recompiling
and linking in a fresh pdf as well as uploading the
new web content, whenever you make a change.

I haven't made many such documents recently, what
I discovered on the last journey was that, to some degree,
you still need to think in both HTML and LaTeX/pdf because
not everything can be laid out to suit both styles.
Example might be code pretty printing, or a package
for the markup of algorithms like Knuth, or having
images look good in both documents.

In the end something that produces basic, functional
HTML and a good pdf from LaTeX can be made pretty using
a css stylesheet.

The more you get into the separation of content and style
philosophy the more you want to make little macros
and filters for your own documentation needs .

Getting clever, once you start having fun, you can
cross ref web content from the pdf using hyperef
package.

--
Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>