[texhax] controlling pdf reader (was Re: beamer and "Read out loud")

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Fri Apr 30 00:19:55 CEST 2010

Herb:

> Isn't that was synctex is supposed to do? It allows supporting apps
> to do Source<->PDF synching. E.g., in TeXShop or TeXworks Cmd-Click
> at a point in either the tex or pdf file and the pdf or tex file
> goes to that location. I know that synctex support is built into
> skim, don't know whether vim handles it.

I didn't know about that - very cool.

I have an unusual system though and it's not clear from the page if
this is possible.  I use ssh to link to a main computer and then
transmit the PDF to another computer where I display it.  So the
question is whether I could transmit the information across too.  This
would mean that the instructions to the PDF viewer (skim) would have
to be in a file (preferably as plain text).  (I don't like to use X
windows displays as they are too slow.)

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  National Institutes of Health