[texhax] controlling pdf reader (was Re: beamer and "Read out loud")

James Quirk jjq at galcit.caltech.edu
Sun Apr 18 20:29:03 CEST 2010

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010, James Quirk wrote:

> Uwe,
>
> >     http://ctan.org/pkg/acroreloadpdf
> >
> > or is this a different solution? -- Uwe.
> >
> Linux AR9.x now includes reload support directly. The approach that
> Alexander Grahn developed, and which I commented on in this group, or
> maybe the pdftex group, is unreliable owing to AR's internal construction.
> For instance at my end it caused AR to crash and my recoding of what
> Alexander had written, which employed a JavaScript closure, would not work
> at all at his end, but worked fine at mine. But if his package works for
> you then great! Also, the trick of adding a custom-button to AR's is
> always useful to know.
I just dug out the e-mail response I got when I filed a bug report
concerning the reloading crash. It reads:

Subject: RE: Bug # 2270294: Problem loading a refreshed PDF

The problem you are running into is that (at least on the Mac and Win,
don't know about Linux), Acrobat doesn't immediately close the file when
you close the window - there is a delay of up to 30 seconds.  The reason
for this is due to a complexity of the browser-integration process.

James