[texhax] ?encoding? suffices in the TeX Live Adobe font TFMs

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Oct 20 21:09:38 CEST 2009

Karl Berry wrote:
>     That doesn't matter : I suspect such files would work
>     only with LaTeX
>
> 1) I was suggesting looking for .enc and .etx simply for additional
>    information on what the encodings are, rather than about actually
>    using them.

OK, now understood.

> 2) .enc files are not related to LaTeX specifically, and are necessary
>    for any remapping to support different encodings at the PostScript
>    level.  I.e., they are referred to in psfonts.map.

Ah, that is interesting : I know nothing about "psfonts.map"
and had been intending to use virtual fonts; is it the case
that I would not need virtual fonts, PdfTeX being able to
re-map fonts on the fly based on information in "psfonts.map" ?

** Phil.