[texhax] Need help for pstricks

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Nov 22 01:23:24 CET 2009

On 20 November 2009 Dan Hatton wrote:

 > On Thu, 19 Nov 2009, Jean-Yves.Rouviere at ensmp.fr wrote:
 >
 > > I am using "set term pstricks" in gnuplot to draw curves in pstricks format.
 > > But all my linestyles are not converted and in the draw with extension
 > > .tex different pstobject are define.
 >
 > Have you considered "set term epslatex"?  - that way, LaTeX doesn't
 > have to worry about the details of pictorial objects.

Before you consider to use gnuplot at all, please read the pgfplots
documentation.  pgfplots generates excellent output with a minimum
amount of effort.  It's extremely powerful and easy to use.  It's not
very fast because arithmetic is done by TeX.  Hopefully LuaTeX will be
supported soon.  Then data can even be pre-processed easily.

I wouldn't use gnuplot anymore today.  The problem is that it isn't
aware of TeX.  It's easy to produce LaTeX code, but often it's
necessary to know the dimensions of a particular object in advance.
In TeX you would put it into a box, determine the dimensions, and
place it properly.  But gnuplot can't do it.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25