[texhax] GFS Porson polytonic keymap?

Erik Norvelle signups2 at norvelle.org
Thu May 7 00:42:42 CEST 2009

Greetings Peter,

I agree with Yannis, in that XeTeX is far more likely to allow you to
work with polytonic Greek in a straightforward fashion.  My experience
using 7-bit workarounds is that a) it's a pain to type, b) it's easy
to make mistakes and c) it can be quite difficult to read the
resulting text when you come back to it later.  Given that XeTeX
allows you to directly enter UTF-8 text, it would be a way to solve
all three of these problems.

You mentioned that you've got a legacy issue that prevents you from
moving to XeTeX, in that you have built a large collection of macros
that you depend on extensively.  My impression has been that XeTeX (as
opposed to XeLaTeX) strives to be a drop-in replacement for (plain)
TeX.  If that were so, you *ought* to be able to use the majority of
your macros directly, or with a certain minimum amount of porting.
However, I am a newcomer to the TeX universe, and could easily be off
base.

Cheers,
Erik