[texhax] vertical placement of symbols

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Mon May 4 16:29:02 CEST 2009

Zbigniew Nitecki <zbigniew.nitecki at tufts.edu> schrieb am 04.05.2009 15:14:08:
> To create the symbol for composition of functions, I have the
> following code
>
> \newcommand{\compose}{{\scriptstyle \circ}}% composition symbol
> \newcommand{\comp}[2]{\ensuremath{#1\compose #2}}% composition by
> function name
>
> This works fine, except that the circle is not vertically centered---
> it is too low. How do I adjust it?

Isn't it fine when you drop \compose and replace it by \circ?

I even would not be willing to type `\comp{f}{g}' in place of `$f \circ g$' or, in equations, `f \circ g'. Or \let\comp\circ to see "what you mean" rather than "what you get".

I guess not the vertical placement is bad, it is choosing \scriptstyle that chooses a font size too small between normal size symbols.

-- Uwe.