[texhax] Bibtex entry for article with no author

Torsten Wagner wagner at ecei.tohoku.ac.jp
Fri Mar 27 12:29:14 CET 2009

Hi Tom,

just a quick idea. If you use your own bibtex style-file. You might just add a
new entry which contains no author fields and assign the records in your bib-
file to this new style-scheme.

If you don't use a own style-file already, check which file you use now
(something.bst) search for it in the tex-path, copy it into your personal
folder, rename it to e.g. my_something.bst. Open the file. Copy the function
for "article" and rename it definition modify the copy to your needs. E.g.

FUNCTION {article_noa}
{ output.bibitem
  format.title "title" output.check
  crossref missing$
    { journal article.in.journal output.nonnull
      new.sentence
      format.vol.year.num.pages output
      format.url output
    }
    { format.article.crossref output.nonnull }
  if$
  format.online.lastcheck
  doi set.period.dash.check
  urn set.period.dash.check
  format.doi.urn output
  issn set.period.dash.check
  format.isbn.issn output
  note set.period.dash.check
  note output
  fin.entry
}
an article without authors might look in the bibfile like below

@ARTICLE_NOA{cite_keyword_1,
  title = {About the sense of articles without authors...},
  journal = {Miracle and Science},
  year = {1845},
  volume = {1},
  pages = {1360--1365},
  number = {12},
  month = {Dec},
}

Dont't forget to tell TeX to use your new style-file with
\bibliographystyle{my_something} in the TeX-header.

That might work or not ;) I didn't test it. Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Totti

> Fellow listers,
>
> This is not really a tex question per se, but I would appreciate any
> suggestion on how one references a magazine/periodical article where
> no author is provided.  For example, The Economist does not list
> article authors in its issues, so I am struggling how to create a
> suitable Bibtex entry.  Several web searches led to using "No Author
> Given" but this seems very strange when you see it listed in the work
> as in No Author Given (2007).  Can anyone share an alternative
> approach?
>
> Here is how my current Bibtex entry appears for one of the offending
> references to the Economist:
>
> @MISC{Econ032208Wal,
> AUTHOR = {{No author given}},
> TITLE ={Leaders: {W}all {S}treet's Crisis},
> HOWPUBLISHED = Econ,
> YEAR = 2008,
> MONTH = {March 22,},
> NOTE = {March 22}