[texhax] LaTeX : Section opening recto, verso blank

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Mar 16 12:01:41 CET 2009

Uwe Lück wrote:
> At 11:03 16.03.09, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
>> I will now look to see if I can get Sections (and Subsections,
>> which I had not previously mentioned, but which too are
>> of class "top") to open verso when appropriate, whilst
>> ensuring that Chapters continue to open recto as before.
>
> Opening verso contradicts the thread identifier

Agreed, but I don't think one should be too constrained
by such considerations : if an option which wasn't
previously considered seems attractive after productive
discussion, then surely one should consider it ?

> and is not supported by
> titlesec. You might not use \titlesec{\section} at all and instead use
> \def\Section{\clearpage\null\newpage...}. (It may be difficult to fit
> this sectioning level into the order that titlesec creates.) BTW the
> emptypage package has an option `odd' on which all chapters open verso
> (never recto).

OK, thank you for the information.  What I /suspect/ I now need
is the "openany" option to \documentclass, and to augment the
\chapter macro (via \Chapter) to open recto.  I will then need
to take care of sections that end verso as before, since they
will need to be followed by a blank recto, but now that I know
about \value {page} from your preceding message, it should
be fairly easy (using \ifodd) to work out where one is in
the spread.

** Phil.