[texhax] LaTeX : Section opening recto, verso blank

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Mar 15 21:10:35 CET 2009

Uwe Lück wrote:

> Ah, sorry, I misunderstood `counterpart', and I overlooked the
> explanations `finished verso' and `two blank pages':

> I understood `counterpart' as `verso of starting folio' (cf. thread
> identifier). And when I started the present reply, I thought
> `counterpart' meant `end of the same section'. OK, I am sticking to
> `counterpart' as `opposite page'.

Yes, that was what I meant by "verso counterpart" : the facing
(verso) page.

> So just add \null right before \LaTeXcleardoublepage.

That gives me unwanted pages at start of document.

> 1b. To get the "empty indeed" variant of \cleardoublepage, titlesec
> offers option `clearempty'. There also is package `emptypage' to the
> same effect without titlesec. But you are right, both packages miss
> \columnseprule = 0pt (maybe because \columnseprule = 0pt is standard
> anyway).

Well, as neither of these solve the problem of the rule,
I may as well roll my own, because I need the rule
problem solved !

> 1c. One might want to keep the "weak" \cleardoublepage for "subsections"
> and give a new name to your variant, e.g. \cleardoublepageskiponepage
> (but this conflicts with my proposal below).

Ah, but I don't yet have a variant that solves the
problem : the cleardoublepage of mine simply
does what the original should have done -- ensures
that the verso page is completely blank, /unless/
that page contains real typesettable content.  And
it is that latter problem that is what this thread
is about : how, if the verso page contains real
typesettable content, to ensure that the next section
start not just recto, but recto+2, so that the verso
counterpart of the opening section page is blank.

> The thread identifier and

Don't understand this line at all :-(

> still indicate that you want to have chapter style for sections. And I
> recommend the "top" designation indeed:

Right, that is what I already have; but in your earlier
message, you recommended "page" ...

> It seems to me that I understand titlesec better here than you, although
> I didn't know what it does until yesterday.

I am very happy to believe that, since I understand almost
nothing about LaTeX and its packages at all ...

> With
>
>     \titleclass{\section}{top}
>
> you don't need \cleardoublepage in \Section, because this \titleclass
> declaration makes \section execute \doubleclearpage! Seen from code and
> tested! This is what \titleclass has been made for!
> This was the heart of my previous message:

Right, I will try that next (but see note below, in closing summary).

> At 08:47 15.03.09, Uwe Lück wrote:
>> With such a declaration, you needn't care any more about \clear...
>
> (where I skipped the "empty" matter because it hadn't been raised yet).

Confused : not sure what you are saying here ...  Does this refer
to my '"page" not only generates an "opening chapter style" page' ?

Anyhow, a resume of where we are, after incorporating your suggestions :

Adding \null just before \LaTeXcleardoublepage causes unwanted
blank pages at start of document.

\cleardoublepage in the definition of \Section was indeed
an error, but it does need an explicit \clearpage, otherwise
\sectiontype is set too soon and affects the running head
of the current page (the running head should change
only as the new section starts).

Using titleclass "page" gives me content-free opening
section pages; I need opening section pages to have
content below the heading.

Many thanks for all your help, Uwe, but as you can
see, we're clearly not there yet !

** Phil.