[texhax] Help with cropping an image

Benham Timothy Timothy.Benham at volvo.com
Tue Mar 10 14:08:15 CET 2009

Dear support,

I am writing to you as I don't know where to turn for help, I hope you can help or re-direct. My company does not approve of anything other than MS Word so please don't refer me to local help.

I use pdfLatex in MikTex 2.6. I have noticed that when I use the options 'viewport' and 'clip' in \includegraphics, I end up with very large pdf files since I often include only a small part of the picture. I then usually reduce the file by exporting from GSView at 300dpi. This usually works fine but is rotating a page in my current document so I want to eliminate the need.

I have noticed that if I look at the original pdf file and select an image which has been inserted in this way, it is cropped on screen but not cropped in the file. The whole picture is there and I can copy it into another application, and hence the large file size as the whole of all of my images has been included.

I have spent hours looking for a way of eliminating this problem but find only the standard info. Is there a way of doing a genuine, permenant crop to an image? Is there a default which can be set in the pdf compiler for example?

Yours hopefully
Tim

Timothy Benham, Dr.
Volvo Technology Corporation
Avd. 06110,
Chalmers Teknikpark,
S-412 88 Gothenburg
Sweden

Tel: +46 (0)31 322 09 85
Fax: +46 (0)31 82 08 87

Please note that I am not normally at work on Wednesdays.