[texhax] Tex question - cases environment

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sun Mar 8 13:14:02 CET 2009

On  8 Mar, 2009, at 03:59, Angela Rademeyer wrote:

> Thanks, I had made that modification but I realise now that it is
> failing for me as I am running the code after this command:
> \begin{longtable}{|p{14cm}|}
> Is there a way to get it to work inside a table?

I don't know longtable, but the following works, with a ridiculous
minipage of just 1pc:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{longtable}
\begin{document}
\begin{longtable}{|p{14cm}|}
\hline
Hi\\ \hline
\begin{minipage}{1pc} % <- ridiculous, but works.
\[
a_{ig} =
\begin{cases}
1 & \text{if customer $i$ belongs to profile group $g$}\\
0 & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
\]\end{minipage}\par\\ % <- see the \par command
\hline
\end{longtable}
\end{document}

Best,