[texhax] Wrong latex getting used.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Mar 3 00:18:03 CET 2009

This is really more a problem with Mac OS X than with latex, ...
But I don't know where else to turn and this list is usually very
helpful.  Said he hopefully.

Recently I unwisely did a re-install of LaTex on my Imac --- using,
I *think* ``sudo fink install latex''.  Can't even remember why I
did this. :-(

Ever since, things that used to work now don't.

This morning I tried to process a powerdot presentation to which
I had made some slight adjustments, and got errors in respect of
xkeyval --- it complained that I had requested a newer version
of xkeyval than was available, and then threw an error about
an undefined control sequence.  I can give further details if
these are relevant, but I don't think so.

Upon investigation I found that the xkeyval package in

	/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex

was indeed out of date, and the latex that gets used is in
/sw/bin.  But there is a perfectly up-to-date xkeyval in

	/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/latex

which seems to be what is pointed to by the symbolic links inside

	/Library/TeX/Distributions

I would have thought that this last would be what would get used
by latex by default under Mac OSX (I must confess that I really
don't understand the convolutions that Mac OSX superimposes upon
Unix) but it seems not.  As I said above, /sw/bin/latex seems to
get used and this seems to draw upon the out-of-date stuff in
/sw/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex.

There is a /usr/texbin that appears automagically in my path,
and this seems to point at the right thing.  I tried setting
my path explicitly in my .cshrc file, putting /usr/texbin ahead
of /sw/bin.  But blow me down, when I echo my path afterwards,
/sw/bin and /sw/sbin are always the first two entries in the
path, no matter what I tell it.  (I *hate* it when computers refuse
to do what you tell them!)  And the wrong latex still gets
used.

How can I get the /sw/bin/latex out of the way?  Does anyone out there
understand Mac OSX enough to help me?

Thanks.

	cheers,

		Rolf Turner

Attention:
This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This e-mail has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal
www.marshalsoftware.com