[texhax] Modifying LaTeX tables

Steve Schwartz s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jun 8 10:51:04 CEST 2009

I use the gnome office spreadsheet application, gnumeric, for this.
http://projects.gnome.org/gnumeric/

It reads/writes excel files and is extremely compatible with it in terms
of look&feel and functionality.

It exports quite good latex tables, that can be latex'ed standalone if
you wish. Or if you cut'n'paste the preamble into your main tex source,
you can \input the file without touching it. Then if you make changes
and re-export it (to a file of the same name), it will obviously update
for you.

There's a windows version, but I run it on a linux box.

HTH
Steve

On Sun, 2009-06-07 at 20:20 +0100, Sam Albers wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a general methodology question concerning tables in LaTeX and I
> was just wondering what the collective wisdom of the list thought.
>
> Currently I am making tables using a spreadsheet then saving the file
> as a .csv file, replacing commas with an ampersand and then formatting
> the table to include in a .tex file. The problem I am running into is
> that if I want to modify the table after this process (say add a
> column) I have to start from scratch at the spreadsheet level which
> can be fairly time consuming. I just wondering what other people do to
> make this more efficient. That is, how do people go about making
> tables and modifying then after some edits have been made.
>
> Anyways, thanks in advance!
>
> Sam
> --
> Sam Albers
> Geography Program
> University of Northern British Columbia
> 3333 University Way
> Prince George, British Columbia
> Canada, V2N 4Z9
> phone: 250 960-6777
Professor Steven J Schwartz        Phone: +44-(0)20-7594-7660
Head, Space & Atmospheric Physics  Fax:   +44-(0)20-7594-7900
The Blackett Laboratory            E-mail: s.schwartz at imperial.ac.uk
Imperial College London            Office: Huxley 711A
London SW7 2AZ, U.K.               Web: www.sp.ph.ic.ac.uk/~sjs