[texhax] MacTeX installation

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Sat Jan 31 00:29:04 CET 2009

I'm posting the following with permission from Richard as it contains
interesting history for the TeX archive.

> Alex,
>
> Thanks for your very accurate reply to Tom.
>
> Tom,
>
> Good debugging. I think you are now in business, so this email is
> really just "for the record."
>

> >> TeXHaXers:
> >>
> >> I usually use LaTeX from the command line (or scripts) so I tested
> >> that and found one small discrepancy.
> >>
> >> %  which latex
> >> /usr/bin/latex
> >>
> >> Then:
> >>
> >> % cd /usr/bin
> >> % ls -l latex
> >> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  45 Mar 22  2006 latex@ -> /usr/local/
> >> texlive/2005/bin/i386-darwin/latex
> >>
> >> That is, the pointer in /usr/bin was not updated, so I was still
> >> using
> >> the old latex installation.  I did that by hand using ln and sudo:
> >>
> >> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  50 Jan 28 14:26 latex@ -> /usr/local/
> >> texlive/2008/bin/universal-darwin/latex
> >>
> >> If it is possible, I would suggest making this modification to the
> >> installation script.  Actually, I changed the name to latex2005 just
> >> so I could get back to it.  An option to delete the previous
> >> installation probably would be useful too.
> >>
> >> Regards,

> Here's the history. I'm going to tell you more than you really want to
> know.
>
> In 2005, most people I know were using teTeX on the Mac as packaged by
> Gerben Wierda. Some people were using TeX Live, and some were using
> teTeX as packaged by Fink. The majority of front ends for TeX had
> preference settings where users could set the path to their TeX
> distribution. Usually the default preference pointed to Gerben's
> distribution. Folks using TeX Live or Fink had to manually reset this
> preference. Gerben's installation added the appropriate element to the
> default PATH variable for folks using a shell.
>
> I believe the default installation script for TeX Live did not set a
> symbolic link in /usr/bin, but instead ended with a suggestion that
> the user modify their PATH variable by hand to point to the new
> distribution. But perhaps an option in the script set this link. No
> copy of MacTeX ever set that link; indeed MacTeX first existed around
> 2005 and installed Gerben's teTeX.
>
> Then Thomas Esser announced that support for teTeX would end on May,
> 2006.  Esser recommended that users switch to TeX Live. I and many of
> my colleagues ignored this announcement and thought "Gerben will take
> care of it." And indeed Gerben developed a revised distribution using
> a subset of the TeX Live texmf tree. Gerben had always used the TeX
> Live binaries rather than binaries from Esser; indeed Gerben is the
> guy who compiled these binaries for the Mac portion of TeX Live. The
> new distribution was called gwTeX. Gerben publicly announced this
> distribution in November of 2006, and he simultaneously announced that
> he would stop supporting it in January of 2007 !!!

> [...]

I'm glad we have the same philosophy for packages, though I've never
gotten around to making such a tight package for my own programs!

My first installation seems to have been from fink, so maybe that's
where the link came from.

Regards,

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research Nanobiology Program
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu