[texhax] problems with circumflex

Benjamin Sambale bsambale at gmx.de
Sat Feb 28 09:14:54 CET 2009

Dear forum,

I wonder about the difference between $^x \operatorname{N}$ and
$\operatorname{N}^x$. Here, I use \operatorname only to write it
upright. Apart from that it doesn't play a role. The problem is that the
space between ^x and N is larger than the space between N and ^x.
Another problem is that ^x in front of N lies lower than ^x after N. I
want that both ^x look exactly the same. If I use
$^x{\operatorname{N}}$, then the space reduces a bit, but it is still to
large. The space in $^x\!\operatorname{N}$ looks also better, but I
think this is not the best solution.

Best wishes,
Benjamin